Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sympathy Card


Well, unfortunately, this card is for the husband of the woman I made the "With Appreciation" card for. Today was the date of her retirement party, and she died yesterday. Things went downhill fast. She sure is going to be missed. You know, I have made more sympathy cards in the last year than ever in my life. I'm just glad that stamp companies make sympathy sets. It makes a tough task much easier. I picked a funky time of day to photograph this card, it's a bit washed out, sorry about that. Maybe I should get one of those photo box thingees. Anyone have one? What do you think? If not, how do you get that soft light that doesn't make the cards look so stark? Any tips are appreciated!

Supplies
Stamps: PTI--Text Boxed, With Sympathy (inside sentiment), and Beyond Basic Borders.
Paper: PTI--Spring Moss, Ripe Avocado, and Rustic White, stash.
Embossing Folder: PTI--Woodgrain.
Ink: Ranger--Peeled Paint, Versamark--Vintage Sepia, Versacolor--Sand Beige
Embossing Powder: Ranger--Clear and Peeled Paint.
Button: Stash
Twine: PTI Rustic White

18 comments:

Teresa said...

Very nice sympathy card.Love the simplicity of it.

Lorraine said...

Oh I'm so sorry. I remember you creating that special card for her. Hope you got to give it to her? And I'm sure her husband will appreciate your lovely handmade sympathy card.

Lindsay said...

I am so sorry about the need for so many sympathy cards! This card will mean so much to him I am sure...it is really nice!

Diane Jaquay said...

This is a great sympathy card, just perfect.

Rhonda said...

Very nice. Simple but classy.

Keva said...

Oh my goodness. I hate that. I am so sorry that she took a turn for the worse. That's really and truly heartbreaking. I'm so sorry. I love this card just as I loved the one you made for her. I'm sure her husband will love it.

Taheerah said...

Very tasteful card for this sombre occasion.

Unknown said...

WOW! love this card...its so perfect and fit for the occasion!

Dana said...

Oh that's so sad Jill. How terrible for her husband.
As for lighting...I built a box out of foam core board years ago (four sides, top and front are open) and made sure that each side could fit a sheet of CS perfectly so I could change BG colors. I shine 1-3 spotlights into it for taking photos when I can get good quality diffused natural lighting elsewhere.

Michelle said...

Oh my - from retirement to dying right before the party?? Horrible.

I have a photo box - and I love mine. But it's not just about the photobox....it's about the picture and the camera. I take my pictures in the photo box so that there is good light and no distraction around the picture. And then I edit them in a program so that they are bright enough and the color doesn't fall flat.

Janis said...

Oh Jill, I am so sorry to hear she passed before her retirement party. What a beautiful card you have made for her husband. I'm sure he will greatly appreciate the handmade thought.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear about this, Jill! Your card is lovely although it is never an occasion one wants to have to make a card for.

Chris said...

That is a beuatiful card but I am so sorry for the reason for sending it Jill.

Brenda said...

I'm sorry for your loss! Your card is lovely, even if it's a difficult occasion to make a card for.

Karen H. said...

Beautiful card. I'm sorry for your loss.

Christi said...

lovely sympathy card - though it's such a sad reason for the card
for photographing cards - these tutorials helped me a lot
http://studiocalico.blogspot.com/2009/09/tutorial-photographing-layouts.html
http://www.kwernerdesign.com/blog/?p=2011
http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/2009/02/tuesdays-tip-photographing-projects.html
I also try to use a tripod so I can get a good sharp photo with good exposure

Sue Ann said...

This is really very beautiful ...... I am very sorry for your loss!!!

Nadine said...

Lovely job Anjll! I have this set and never thought to use it for a sympathy type of card. Thank you for the inspiration!