Friday, May 21, 2010

Happily Ever Challenged #6

Ted at Happily Ever Crafter has a challenge this month that I just couldn't resist. It's a Menu Challenge--literally. You choose from a menu of options based on the last number in the year you were born, and have to create a card putting all of them together. Since I was born in an "8" year, my menu looks like this:

Appetizer (Base Color)--Purple
Main Course (Technique)--Sewing
Dessert (Primary Embellishment)--Ric Rac
Tip (Main Image)--Tree

I had a ball creating a card that ended up being very out of the box for me. I just don't *do* whimsical, but that's how my "meal" turned out! The first thing I did was pick out a tree image. I wasn't sure I had one (Through the Trees is on my PTI wishlist), but then I found this image from Kim Hughes. I'm not into cutesy, but I do love Kim's style, and somewhere along the line, I had bought this stamp from CHF. Unfortunately, the impression of it is doing something funky in the photo lighting . . . in person it's not so uneven and splotchy! Next, I chose some dark purple cardstock and PP (I think I've had this PP--no joke--since college!), a border stamp, teeny flowers & rhinestone centers, and some lovely velvet ric rac I've been hoarding. Oh, and stitched across the top. I forgot to photograph the inside, but I did decorate it and add a "Just Because" sentiment. BTW, the ric rac bow *isn't* falling off--it's nice and centered, really! :-D This was really fun--you should hop over to Ted's blog and create your own menu!

Supplies
Stamps: CHF--Kissable Tree by Kim Hughes Collection; PTI--Vintage Picnic Sentiments (inside)
Paper: PTI--Ripe Avocado, Stamper's Select White; stash
Ink: Tsukineko--Versacolor Bamboo
Flowers: Prima
Rhinestones: Recollections
Border Punch: Fiskars
Copic: N0 (the letter "N", the number zero, LOL!)
Ric Rac: Stash
Other: Sewing Machine

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to say you used all the elements beautifully in this card, not an easy thing to do, well done!

Angy said...

What a fun challenge to participate in. Might have to try it myself. Great job.

Ted said...

Jill, this card is fantastic! Maybe it isn't supposed to look "splotchy", but I have to tell you that was part of the initial charm when I saw it... looked quite "vintage" and whimsical at the same time. :) That ric rac is wonderful as well! Thanks so much for participating in my challenge. :)

Barbara said...

Fantastic job on the challenge! I think you nailed it!

Lorraine said...

Beautiful card - striking! I think you rocked the challenge. I'm really glad you created your blog - you're taking all of the challenges by storm!

Debbie Gaydos said...

This is so clever and cute! Love that tree and the little flowers!

Sara Mac said...

Great job on the challenge Jill. I like your menu much better than mine. Well, it would have been easier anyway. Love the big tree!

Diane Jaquay said...

This is so cute Jill!! You and I both end with an "8", but I'm sure I'm a different decade ;)

Karen H. said...

Love the card. Great job putting it all together!

Marge said...

What a fun challenge -- love your little Primas!!!

Unknown said...

This turned out great, Jill! What a fun challenge!!!

Gwen said...

He another "8" it was fun huh! yours really turned out great...love our stitching & your tree.

Anonymous said...

I love the purple and green together. That's a tricky list of ingredients, but you pulled it together beautifully.

Michelle said...

Love the fun stitching - - and that ric rac velvet is a great touch too!

Caryn said...

Fabulous card and what a fun challenge too.

Hugs,
Caryn xxx