Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

Here is the card I made my mom for Mother's Day yesterday. In the end I was very happy with it (and she loved it, of course, but then she's required to by law since she's my mother!), but you should have seen me struggle with the creative process making it! I had this vision in my head of Ocean Tides and Sweet Blush, a certain CHF background stamp, some crystalline embossing powder . . . and as I started making card components with those supplies, I could tell right from the start that it wasn't working. Did I immediately stop and begin with a new idea? Nope! I stubbornly kept trying to make it work--do any of you do that? I kept thinking I could "save" the idea. I finally gave up a few days later and set the salvageable parts aside for another project and started over. The only thing I kept was the Ocean Tides layer that is punched all around with a border punch (in its plain state). This second idea just flowed, so I wish I had wised up a lot sooner! :-)

Supplies
Stamps: PTI--Boxes, Bags & Tags (on the inside and the envelope), Turning a New Leaf; Verve--Because of You (on the inside)
Paper: PTI--Ocean Tides, Rustic White, Tea Leaves PP
Ink: PTI--Ocean Tides, Tea Dye Duo; Versafine--Onyx Black
Ribbon: Stash
Flowers: Prima
Pearls: Recollections
Border Punch: Fiskars
Misc: Spellbinders die, sewing machine, ScorPal

13 comments:

Sue Ann said...

This card is so BEAUTIFUL!!!! I love this paper...... it keeps going in and out of my cart :)

Lorraine said...

Wow, your card is gorgeous! I KNOW your mom loved it. I usually end up with many mistakes along the way sometimes. Can't tell by looking at your card that you had any trouble.

Karen H. said...

Beautiful card! I do know what you mean, I struggle with lost causes too (actually have one on my desk right now, lol). This turned out wonderfully, so maybe those lost causes can be good things ;)

Terri said...

Nice job! I hate to waste things so I will try my best to make things work. Sometimes I have to give up and start over again too though. I bet your mom really loved it!

Taheerah said...

I think we all get that sometimes where it's not turning out how it has in our heads and we push on regardless. Most of the times I know if the same idea can prevail if I keep going but sometimes I just cut my losses and run, ha! I think this card turned out great in the end though!

Barbara said...

Very pretty! I love the layout and all your little details! Lovely Mother's Day card!

Lindsay said...

Very nice card! It is lovely!

Janis said...

Jill..I think we have all been there, done that, many times. Some days things seem to come together very easily and other days...it's a struggle. Your Mother's Day Card turned out gorgeous!

Unknown said...

This is just beautiful, Jill! How could she not love it!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I'll bet a lot of us can relate to this! Sometimes it comes so easily and other times, it takes forever. The end result, however, is lovely!

Caryn said...

Beautiful Jill - I bet your mum just loved it.

Hugs,
Caryn xxx

Michelle said...

LOL - I've stubbornly tried to make it work, but lately, I just toss it. I figure I have enough product that the waste won't hurt me. Glad it worked out for you - love the colors too.

Sue Plote said...

This card is absolutely beautiful!!